North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well lets hear the stories! We had a 7 man limit at 1 P.M., should have been more like 10 A.M. but we all were lacking on shooting!

It was a great time really wet, but a great time.

How did everyone do?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Wet, few birds. Hunted this morning near our area saw but two roosters and a few hens without a shot. As expected, where we live, the hatch was minimal and the crp is going fast. Found another full section that was plowed just last week and two full sections more hayed that are going under the plow this fall after I talked to the land owners. Going farther afield will be the only choice this year to get into some birds. Besides that, 6 different non resident vehicles within a few miles of our home and the biggest group was two vehicles with trailers, 8 hunters and 6 dogs. Saw most birds flying immediately into standing corn. Compared to the last 5 years, worst opener ever. Not looking forward to this year and certainly not in the future. Hope others had a better day and a better looking future.

·
Registered
956 Posts
My opener in mn wasn't to bad got 2, could only find one. My dog worked great, pointed all the birds. I think we saw maybe 10, but only 2 roosters. Heard quite a bit of shooting though, aa little wet early on.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
R y a n said:
Congrats Mike!

photos?!

let's see 'em!

anyone else?
We actually didn't take pics. It was pouring when we got done, we jumped in the truck and drove home.

The birds were nothing to look at! :beer:

It was a great time!

Tomorrow looks like alot of the same!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Terrible opener, was out for 4-5 hours and didn't shoot a single round through a gun and there were three of us. Only saw one bird and it was a hen. Hopeing things pick up as the weeks go by or else it's going to be a long pheasant season!!

Mike glad to hear you guys shot your birds!! Must really know the sweet spots.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
The first 45 minutes were great, then the deluge came and lasted pretty much the rest of the day. We got time to walk one slough and kicked out a few roosters then it was all over. I have talked to guys that hunted in several different spots in ND, the bird numbers sound really good, just too many unharvested fields.
A wet day hunting still beats any day at work.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gunhills said:
:lol: Hi guys when you say you have reached your limit for the day how many birds (roosters) can each person shoot per day??Regards Iv.... :beer:
We can shoot 3 birds a day in North Dakota.

Off again today. Looks to be even raining even more then yesterday.... :-?

G

·
Hey folks! I went out yesterday and there was thunder and flashes of lightning with a steady drizzle of rain as I walked the first slough. I was out with my two labs and they flushed about 8 hens from the cattails. I was soaked after 90 minutes of that and was on the path to my truck to dry out and a rooster poped out of the fence line headed to the slough. I stopped him short but only broke a wing. The dogs tracked it to the cattails and after sloshing around for the better part of ten minutes, my boy Kody came up with the wounded bird. Of course on the way back to the old fart (me) Sophie got in the act and both had hold of it to make the first retrieve of the season! That was the only rooster I saw while out walking. Unless the hens I saw weren't all hens! Hmm, me thinks perhaps I may have been fooled by some of those young roosters. Anyway, I got out on the opener and had a great day (in spite of the weather) and there is plenty of season to go! :beer:

·
Registered
43 Posts
hunt4P&Y said:
gunhills said:
:lol: Hi guys when you say you have reached your limit for the day how many birds (roosters) can each person shoot per day??Regards Iv.... :beer:

Thanks for the reply with you saying you are out again today does that mean you can shoot game on a sunday??? Because we are not allowed to shoot game on Sundays
Regards Iv...
:beer:

·
Registered
14 Posts
went out this morning despite the rain and snow, i had to dig up my gortex jacket and pants from my old deployment bag. it is also my 10mon old choc lab's first hunt. he did very well and so proud of him. we bagged 1 rooster and 1 hun. didnt bring my camera but managed to take pics with my phone.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice work guys!

We didn't have a bad day today. Between three of us we ended up with 6 by 1 P.M. We decided to call it a day then. Just got done cleaning all of my goose deeks from Friday, and giving my setter a good ol wash!

Man I sure am glad it just started raining again.... it quit for like 20 min! :lol:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
we scratched out a limit on saturday, took all day to do it, but we got it, and then this morning we were done by 12. 4 man limits, lots and lots of walking on saturday. Sunday was two walks, no one was out, and it was so freaking wet, sucked bit time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Went out saturday morning and managed to shoot 3. Seemed like some of the birds were skiddish and were getting up ahead of us. Saw plenty of birds but they all headed for corn. The pheasant hunting will definitely be better when crops are off. Probably be a while after all the rain this weekend though.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
gunhills said:
hunt4P&Y said:
gunhills said:

Thanks for the reply with you saying you are out again today does that mean you can shoot game on a sunday??? Because we are not allowed to shoot game on Sundays
Regards Iv...
:beer:
We can shoot 7 days a week from 1/2hr before sunrise to sunset in ND and the possession limit is 12.

We were wet and didn't see a whole lot of birds but a day hunting is better than ______ well just about anything.

I shot one my son shot one, my buddy shot two and the dog got one, well two but we had to put one back and send her back into the cattails to get the one with color.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
We had an excellent three days. Four of us on Saturday, just two on Sunday and today. Interestingly, we shot five older birds today. That is much different than the norm. The wind today had the young 'uns spooky, but the old guys waited until the dogs got on their tails. Pics are from Saturday and Monday. Nothing from Sunday (raining hard!), but we did finish in about an hour (thank goodness, each boot must have been carrying an extra five pounds of mud). :wink:

Man, do I love those old family traditions!
Burl

·
Registered
603 Posts
Our group of 7 hunted in SE ND. Saw a ton of young birds, which was very encouraging for our area. We ended up with 15 birds on Saturday, should have easily had our limit! Two first time hunters with LOTS of oppurtunities and Im sure lots of stories to tell!!! Thats what really matters!

Sunday we made two short walks, 7 more roosters. Too much rain, and the Vikings were playing.

I would say about 60-70% of the birds were this years hatch.

There was still a ton of standing beans, which will be standing for at least another week with the amount of moisture. Corn will be lucky to be off by opening deer.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.