North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well. it was getting pretty dark and i could hardly see it, it got down wind of me and turned and starred right at me, so i had to take the shot, so i was pretty sure i hit it in the neck, just a place where a deer doesnt get hit to often.
oh yea it's a rush. :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
laite319 said:
You guys have legal shooting hours down there? If it was almost too dark to see it might have been too dark to shoot. Could explain the off the mark shot.
Yea u can shoot half hour past sunset, its allready pretty dark then, plus the cloud cover that makes it even darker.

And the deer was facing right towards and he smelt me, Therefore i HAD to take the shot and when the deer is facing me the neck is the only option to shoot for, so i took the shot and made it work.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Sd snow goose killer said:
And the deer was facing right towards and he smelt me, Therefore i HAD to take the shot and when the deer is facing me the neck is the only option to shoot for, so i took the shot and made it work.
First off, you didnt HAVE to take the shot.

Secondly, with a facing shot with a bow, hitting lower between the front legs in the brisket is a much better choice, gets you into the thoracic cavity. Not that id advocate that shot at all, but if need be, thats the best option for that angle. Theres ALOT of "dead space" in a ruttin bucks neck, lots of muscle thats going to do little, if any lethal damage. An inch or two off either side of the spine and that deer is gone. An arrow isnt a bullet, its not going to do the damage a bullet will and does not kill the same.

In reality, you got very lucky. Not trying to be mean, but thats the truth.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Nice deer and congradulations but not a shot I would have taken.

Headline to thread should have been " I lucked out with a neck shot with my bow"

Could have easily lost this deer.... Just sayin

·
Registered
247 Posts
nice deer....psh let the arrow fly man...i say good job...first buck is always tempting plus you might have not had another chance at him....anyways ya got the job done so idk why every one complainin.....very nice deer tho

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yup, congrats on your first deer. Very nice. But I'm with bbj and browndog on this one. You owe it to the animals you're hunting to take a shot that will provide for a quick, humane kill and also a recovery of the animal.

But again, nice buck. :wink:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Yea, I didn't say it before, but it was a nice buck. Definately not a shot I would take even if I didn't have a chance at him again.

nice deer....psh let the arrow fly man...i say good job...first buck is always tempting plus you might have not had another chance at him....anyways ya got the job done so idk why every one complainin.....very nice deer tho
that is exactly what young people need to hear as they are learning to be responsible hunters!! :eyeroll:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congrats on a beautiful buck! Don't listen to everyone complaining....you took a shot you thought you could make and the broadhead did it's job! You shot that arrow at him with bad intentions....I'm sure you weren't trying to just hurt him! The neck is a very lethal target and very seldom will you hit a deer there and not kill him....

ANYWAY, congratulations again! Hooked for life aren't you!?!?! :thumb:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stickem14 said:
Congrats on a beautiful buck! Don't listen to everyone complaining....you took a shot you thought you could make and the broadhead did it's job! You shot that arrow at him with bad intentions....I'm sure you weren't trying to just hurt him! The neck is a very lethal target and very seldom will you hit a deer there and not kill him....

ANYWAY, congratulations again! Hooked for life aren't you!?!?! :thumb:
Yea, man thanks for the input!

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
stickem14 said:
The neck is a very lethal target and very seldom will you hit a deer there and not kill him....
Absolutely horrible advice, everyone should COMPLETELY disregard this statement. A neck shot is a HORRIBLE choice for archery equipment. This aint a .30-06 were talking about here guy. :eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

Im glad you got him though. You did get lucky. Take the advice of the more KNOWLEDGABLE guys on here, and next time wait for a more ideal angle.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
A rutting buck has a HUGE neck. Remember that same buck a couple months ago? Maybe 1/3 the size neck? Well, he doesn't gain artery's within the last two months. Just something to think about!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sd snow goose killer,

We're not trying to put you down here. Harvesting a deer with a bow is an incredible accomplishment. And I'm glad that you're hooked now. But you made a pretty crucial mistake reguarding shot placement and selection and if you continue to make that mistake, you won't likely be recovering many deer in the future. Just trying to help. Wait for a good shot and aim for the "boiler room".

Congrats again on the buck. :beer:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I never said it was a great shot to take...BUT it worked. Personaly, I wouldn't have taken the shot either. If you look where he hit the deer when it was facing him, it went in the neck and into the chest cavity. Most people have made a bad shot on a deer standing perfectly broadside...he makes a good shot in a less than perfect situation....

The point is he's excited and proud of his first archery deer....shares his picture and story..... and you guys jump all over him.....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts