North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner

Goose loads

38K views 44 replies 29 participants last post by  DAVENPORT WA 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any luck with the Remington 3 inch hyper sonic BB for 12 gauge?? :D

#27 ·
kingcanada said:
The designer steel loads are a waste of money.
Buy a good patterning load and put the pattern where it needs to go and birds will die. It's that simple. Buy Speed shocks or Kent Fasteel and spend the difference on better decoys or more gas to hunt more birds.
This! At least someone else understands how to spend a dollar wisely! I love it when snow and rebelcj talk up the hevishot load trying to waste other peoples money so they can keep getting their free ammo.

#28 ·
clint_hay said:
Kent's 3" 2's....shoot them for everything. No need for expensive loads for decoying birds at 20-30 yards
I bought some Hypersonics the other day, because I needed another box of shells for the season..the first box of any shells I've bought for waterfowl in maybe 1 1/2 years?...and if you let 'em decoy and get close enough, it really doesn't matter. I've been using 3" #2 Remington Steel (1450?) with a modified choke on an 870 and I've killed birds consistently....when I let them get close.

Now, since I've bought those hypersonics (3", #2), and judging from what I've read so far,..when I DO start using those, should I stick with my Modified choke and not go to a full?

Thanks in advance, guys.

#29 ·
the professor said:
Wulffhunter said:
Think about it. 65 feet further away in one second.. That's a long ways. So think about lead reduction and the less crippled birds. I shot it at snow geese this spring thru my patternmaster (not recommended but didn't have any other shells) and it flat out dropped them at fifty yards constantly. And there's not that much more recoil either.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

time to target at 50 yards:
1450 fps load: 0.16 seconds
1700 fps load: 0.143 seconds

Lead reduction? we're talking less than .02 seconds.
LOL, exactly what I was thinking.

One thing I tend to notice is that the guys who can shoot, can shoot......and the guys who can't, can't.

Not trying to be a smartass, it's just the truth.

#30 ·
Jethro,

Really? so thats what its about,free ammo...LOL,for guyz shooting the hi-end brands out there we see today do ya think that some of us might have a little knowledge other than "here-say" about a certain brand and are willing to share this knowledge///Shoot what fits your budget and be happy you knocked some birds down,others will shoot this high end brand of ammo,shoot less(if they can hit their intended target) and kill more birds,if you have'nt tried it or compared your argument is weak at best.

Hyper sonic,blind side,black cloud and hevi metal,have you shot any of these brands? Federal blue box,kent and dry lok will kill birds over dekes just fine,use what works for ya,some of us take it to the next level.

#31 ·
snow said:
Jethro,

Federal blue box,kent and dry lok will kill birds over dekes just fine,use what works for ya,some of us take it to the next level.
So tell me why you feel it is necessary to take it to the next level if using the cheapy steel loads kills birds dead on arrival with a properly placed shot? Are you trying to kill them once and in the afterlife as well? :beer:

#32 ·
FLOYD said:
the professor said:
Wulffhunter said:
Think about it. 65 feet further away in one second.. That's a long ways. So think about lead reduction and the less crippled birds. I shot it at snow geese this spring thru my patternmaster (not recommended but didn't have any other shells) and it flat out dropped them at fifty yards constantly. And there's not that much more recoil either.

LOL, exactly what I was thinking.

One thing I tend to notice is that the guys who can shoot, can shoot......and the guys who can't, can't.

Not trying to be a smartass, it's just the truth.
Good Point. some guys can shoot, some guys can't, it is that simple.

#35 ·
Like everything else there are situations in which the designer loads likely outperform standard steel. For most of us those shots probably come less than 10 % of the time. I'm not gonna load my gun with high priced shells because it may be helpfull on 1 out of 10 shots. I'll likely just pass on that 10th shot. We often hear the phrase "Why limit yourself?" That seems to be the mindset of many hunters that feel the need to limit out and shoot at everything in eyesight every time they go hunting. This year on the days I chose to take a full limit I did so for less than $10 worth of shells vs $20-$25 of the designer stuff. I'll be the first to admit that it is my shooting skills and not my steel loads that are the limiting factor. Some days everything hit the ground dead other days they did not. FWIW I spent about 15 years hunting waterfowl with lead. Lead did cripple less birds BUT we still lost our share at ranges much less than what guys are using the designer loads for. They are probably losing more birds than they realize.

I went hunting with some younger guys this year. All were shooting 3 1/2 in designer loads. I fired three shots while they each probably went through a 1/2 box of shells. 7 hunters downed about 15 birds. We had about 30 yards distance between the first and last shooter. I was in the middle. Every time birds came I waited for them to get within 30 yards of the furthest shooter. Most of the time they never got that close because the guys on the end started opening up before they even got within 30 yards of me. They were shooting 50-60 yards at birds that would have landed in thier lap if they let them. I also noted that they had to chase down about the same number of birds I generally have to...........................

#36 ·
dakotashooter2 said:
I went hunting with some younger guys this year. All were shooting 3 1/2 in designer loads. I fired three shots while they each probably went through a 1/2 box of shells. 7 hunters downed about 15 birds. We had about 30 yards distance between the first and last shooter. I was in the middle. Every time birds came I waited for them to get within 30 yards of the furthest shooter. Most of the time they never got that close because the guys on the end started opening up before they even got within 30 yards of me. They were shooting 50-60 yards at birds that would have landed in thier lap if they let them. I also noted that they had to chase down about the same number of birds I generally have to...........................
I love this story i had the same experience hunting with fairly new hunters who have not learned how to be patient and let the birds work the spread and commit (which to me is hands down the best part of the whole sport!) and it didnt help they couldnt hit a beech ball rolling on the ground at 10 yards. but non the less they felt that they needed to shoot the 3.5 hevishot in order to knock birds down…

#38 ·
snogeezmen said:
My daddy always told me you can't make apple pie outta horse &$#*!!!!! Think that applys here. :beer:

Whatever's the cheapest at the store is my load.....yes 2 3/4" 2's knock geese down deader than &$#*!!!!
Interesting analogy, but I'm with ya on the 2 3/4 2's but I do keep 3.5 in the blind bag in case the birds get wise to my shananigans.

#40 ·
Often the guys (and gals) that use such loads make the claim that they get more birds at long range and wound less but I really doubt all of that is true. I've learned that most shooters over estimate their success at long range. It often takes only 1 bird in 15-20 long range shots for a load to be deemed "perfect medicine". If you take enough long shots with any load you are eventually going to drop one. They also neglect the "flying wounded". We can never really know the number of birds we wound but they keep flying. Even a hit in a non vital area from the best load isn't gonna change than. I have a feeling there may be as many flying wounded resulting from those long shots as immediate kills. The thing is at long ranges that may be harder to determine and there is no chance for a second shot even if you suspect it.

#41 ·
the professor said:
Wulffhunter said:

According to your calculations the BBS would be over a foot ahead of the the slower ones at 50 yards. Its not that big of a deal but not 7 icons laughable either.

#42 ·
1 foot...if we are talking 1 projectile, but patterns bloom, and pellets in the front of the pattern don't decelerate at the same rate as pellets in the back of a pattern; not to mention there is a stringing effect of the shot as well. so in essence there is too variables to say for sure that there would be any extensive lead reduction.

#43 ·
That reduced lead is only significant if you are taking longer shots such as pass shooting and/or the birds are crossing. 95% of my shots (in decoys) are probably head on or straight away and at ranges 30 yards or under. Even quartering away lead is generally small.

And if you guys shooting specialty loads think you are wounding less birds than the rest of us think again. You may be wounding less birds with specialty loads at the outside range of a standard steel load but shooting at birds at the far end of a loads performance range yields as similar number of wounded birds regardless of the load. Guys are posting all the time about "crushing "birds at 70 and 80 yards with specialty loads. Odds are pretty good that their "misses" at those ranges are wounding a similar share of bird as standard steel does at 50 yards........ But it's going to be harder to determine that at 70 or 80 yards. And rest assured that a large percentage of the guys using those specialty loads are pushing them to their limit, it's human nature.

#45 ·
hi guys, the high price of shot gun shells is stupid,,heres the report on lead its called( frank bellrose report 1959),
if you can find it, ( 1 maybe 2 % of the migratory birds in N america MIGHT have lead posioning. Thats the last documunated report ive seen,DOSENT MATTER we are stuck with Big companies wanting hugh dallors for us guys to shoot birds.Ever wonder who is really behind 2.00 shot gun shells? Why after this many years ( Swans in wa. state are still dying from lead after 20 or so years of lead being outlawed?)Humm, in fields we plow under any shot, on small water holes we shoot over them, back into fields, deep water shot sinks to bottom,but its disturbing how the game departments don't worry about cripples,,So whats better cripples or possible lead poisoning,, or hunters to broke to hunt..i know steel 25 yards is deadly,, but lead is VERY VERY DEADLY,,just my 02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.