North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner

New LR scope

11K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  margaret10200 
#1 ·
I am having trouble deciding on my next scope. I plan to switch this scope between my Rem 700 .308 and my new Savage build .260 for longer range targets (500-1000yds) at first then some hunting as I become proficient at the longer ranges.

First is the IOR Valdada 3-18X42 "Fleascope" with the MP-8 Ill Ret. This scope has a 35mm tube, comes with a sun shade, and quality rings of my choice. This scope has 60MOA of elevation, and very high quality German glass.

Second is a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50mm. I have not decided on a reticle yet, but am leaning toward the NP-2DD. This scope has a 30mm tube, comes with a sun shade, bikini style lens covers, but no rings. This scope has 100 MOA of elevation, and I am not sure where the glass is made.

I think the MP-8 reticle is better than any thing Nightforce has, but the Nightforce has much more elevation. The Nightforce has higher magnification, but doesn't come with rings, and the Nightforce is about $300 more after buying rings. I already have an IOR Valdada, and really like it, but the Nightforce is......well, a Nightforce, and I don't have one.

Can any one give me some info or personal experiences that can help me decide between these two? Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
if those are your 2 choices nightforce is the choice. head and shouldlers above ior in every aspect of glass durability, repeatability and just all around on of the best. one thing to think about is getting matching reticle and turrets(moa/moa or mil/mil). if you want a scope that is built like a tank nsx all the way. if you want to get some more opinions go to snipershide.com

#3 ·
KurtR, where are you getting your information that the IOR doesn't have the quality glass that Nightforce does? Is this by experience or something you have read? I have heard the complete opposite, but haven't been able to look through an IOR yet. I have been considering one, but can't buy something I haven't looked through before purchase. I do like the IOR scopes with the 25 MOA adjustment in one rotation of the elevation turret. With the 260 shooting 139 gr. Scenars that would get be beyond 1000 yards in one rotation. This has been one of the biggest reasons I have wanted one and am still considering it. I do like the Nightforce, but everyone I have talked to that owns the IOR and Nightforce both seem to agree that the optic quality is equivalent between the two.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... ost1666862

Savage260, with the flat trajectory of the 260 you will achieve 1000 yards with either scope.

#4 ·
IOR has good optical quailitys but just are not as proven and durable as nsx. nsx customer service is light years ahead of ior. i have looked through a few ior and they will more than do the job. i just like the fact of you know the nsx is going to do the same thing everytime you turn the turrets and you can beat the **** out of the scope and it will funtion everytime and if it does not you send it to idaho where they are assembled and it is fixed. does the ior having matching reticle and turrets i dont know about that. i would not even considering spending money on a scope that does not match. just my opinion on the nsx scope it is so subjective to what the actuall user wants when you get to the higher levels of scope makers it is best to get some thing in hand and test it to see if you like it.

#5 ·
...it is best to get some thing in hand and test it to see if you like it.
I completely agree KurtR and hence the reason I haven't bought an IOR. I wish they made a NSX with a 25 MOA (1/4 MOA clicks) turret like the IOR and the decision would be over.

#6 ·
i have owned both. i would buy the nightforce. i have the 5.5-22x56 nxs tactical with the np-2dd reticle. i have never liked a scope or reticle as much. if i can afford to, i will be adding a 3.5-15 version to my 17 mink so the 5.5-22 can go back on my long range coyote gun. i have used my nxs in brutal weather conditions and -35 degree temps. the turrets, parallax adjuster, and variable power ring still functioned smoothly and properly. can't say that of anything else i have tried. nxs scopes are machined from solid bar stock for the body: one piece, 1/8" thick. exotic metals and aerospace lubes are used throughout. all glass is bedded in a special epoxy compound in addition to the threaded retaining systems. the glass itself is amazing. there actually is a reason they cost so much. this is one of the few instances where you really do get what you pay for.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info kingcanada! :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.