North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner

The Home Made E-Caller

4M views 276 replies 112 participants last post by  chris70 
#1 ·
Since there seems to be a lot of interest in building an Electronic E-Caller I think this post will save some time in the long run. To start with I am no expert, but have been building E-Callers for the better part of 10 years. OK so maybe I am too cheap to buy one, but to be totally honest I guess I have yet to find one with all the features I want in a pre-made Caller. For the first several years I would build one, use it and then as I was using it I would figure out a way to make it better. For the most part this meant more compact. Sonce of the ones I have built were from ideas shared by guys that also enjoy putting these types of callers together, while other ideas were out of despiration to make the units more compact. I have used Cassettes, CD's, and finally MP3 Players for the sound source (and yes even used one of the Boom Boxes a time or two).

To start with you'll need an Amp. I have found the little Radio Shack Amp (part #277-1008 = $12.99). I have experimented with this and other amps and dollar for dollar this little amp works, provides all the needed volume for about 90% of the calling you'll ever need, and the 9 Volt transistor Battery seems to last forever (provided it is not left on when not in use for days on end).

This little Radio Shack Amp actually is in a small plastic housing and there is a little 2" speaker inside the housing. The first thing I do is to remove the amp circuit board from the original housing. Next (through trial and error) I find the sweet spot on the volume control (on off switch volume control) at which the volume does not get any louder by turning the volume past that point, but rather just increases amp hiss/noise. I then remove the volume wheel from the volume control and hot glue the volume control in a fixed position.

Since we have disabled the On-Off Switch on the amp, we need to wire in a separate On-Off Switch (Radio Shack #275-1565 = $2.59 ea). I also like to wire in a small LED Indicator Light to help in not leaving the Amp turned on when not in use (Radio Shack #276-084 - $1.99 ea). One wire from the LED Indicator Light and the Red Wire from the Amp Circuit Board get soldered to on terminal on the On-Off Switch.

The positive lead from the new 9Volt Battery Connector (Radio Shack #270-325 = $1.99 per pck of 5) gets wired to the other terminal of the On Off Switch. The negative wires from the new Battery Connector, Amp Circuit Board and LED Indicator Light all get soldered together.

That is about it for wiring. Depending on how or what you choose to mount your amp in (I use either a Radio Shack Project Enclosure #270-1805 = $3.79 or an insulated Coffee Mug) you may or may not need a couple of 90 degree adaptors (Radio Shack #274-372 = $3.99 each. The 90 Degree Adaptors are needed for clearance to get the speaker and patch cord (that goes between the amp and the sound source) plugged in inside of the coffee mug.

Next is the patch cord to go between the Amp and the Sound Source (Radio Shack #42-2497 1' patch cord with 1/8" Stereo Plugs on each end = $4.29) and the sound source. You can get a premade 6' patch cord also if you need to have the sound source farther away from the amp.

Radio Shack items parts list

Radio Shack #277-1008, Mini Audio Amplifier/Speaker = $12.99ea

Radio Shack #275-1565, SPST Soft Feel Push on Push Off Switch = $2.59ea

Radio Shack #276-084, LED Indicator Light for Amp (fits 3/16" hole) = $1.99ea

Radio Shack #42-2387, 6 Foot Patch Cord 1/8" Stereo Plug on each end = $4.99ea

Radio Shack #270-325, 9V Snap Type Battery Connectors (Pkg. of 5) = $1.99ea

Radio Shack #270-1805, Project Enclosure ((6"x3'X2") = $3.79ea

The speaker I have found to produce the absolute BEST sound is the Speco SPC-5 PA Speaker. These can be order online from Lashen Electronics, they are $8.42 plus shipping, but they have a minimum order of $25.00. This speaker comes with about 10 feet of speaker wire and a plug attached (or at least the ones I have used have) to plug the speaker directly into the Speaker Jack on the Radio Shack Mini Amp.

On to the sound source. Your imagination and what you are willing to spend will limit your choices. Some of the guys are using some of the new I-Pods, while others are using MP3 Players and yet others digital voice recorders. I have had good luck with the Rio 600 MP3 Players, and if I had a complaint it is the small buttons and readout screen (I can not read the track titles without my glasses).

Now for you guys that have asked about WIRELESS, yes this too can be done. I have put together a couple WIRELESS Callers, but quite honestly I haven't used one all that much as I figured it was just more batteries to go dead when least expected. It is a simple matter of using a Cam Corder Wireless Mic Transmitter and Receiver to make this E-Caller Wireless. From what I have read elsewhere the AZDEN WLX-PRO Wireless Mic System is one of the better ones, and the ones I have used. These are a two channel system so if you get interference on one channel, try the other one as it may provide clearer sound.

It is a simple matter of plugging the MP3 Player into the Wireless Transmitter. With the Azden you'll need a 6 Foot Patch Cord to go between the MP3 Player and the Azden Transmitter as this cord acts as the antenna for the Transmitter. The Receiver gets plugged into the INPUT on the Amp and the Speaker stays plugged into the OUTPUT on the Amp.

Yep it is as simple as that.

Below are a few photos of a couple of callers I have built.

I am sure I have left something out, and if so just ask away.

Larry

See less See more
#4 ·
sdhandgunner... thank you VERY much... i am one of the guys that can not afford the fox pro, like a lot of others... i want something that i can use with the $250 for more than hunting coyotes... and talk about sharing knowledge... this is more than you can expect from a lot of people.

also guys, i was told by one of my hunting buddies, and since i didn't believe him he proved it today... TRY USING AN ELEPHANT DISTRESS!
i was laughing so hard i couldn't shoot!! we were out and about 5 minutes we had 2 coming in... guess they thought they were going to eat for a year!! i couldn't believe what i was seeing, but it worked. unfortunately the female that was shot was covered with mange... maybe a handfull of hair in her entire body... thought it was a greyhound at first, she looked that bad.

:sniper:

#6 ·
Thanks guys, you are very welcome. Hopefully all of the callers your guys build will turn out great and be what you expected.

As per the Elephant in Distress, I had to laugh at that one. But in all honesty the guy that taught me abuot Calling Coyotes always told me the distress sounds we make have nothing to do with the Prey Animals we have in our local area, but rahter something DIFFERENT that will pique the Coyote's attention / curiosity. My buddy always used a Snow Shoe Hare Call by Sceery and had very good success, but we don't have Snow Shoe Hares around here, case in point.

Larry

#7 ·
This is so weird... I was just trying to come up with my own design for a caller.... man Thanks yours seem better!!!

one question... seems like this system would really not be that loud... am I wrong... is it loud enough for snow geese????

#9 ·
apeterson said:
This is so weird... I was just trying to come up with my own design for a caller.... man Thanks yours seem better!!!

one question... seems like this system would really not be that loud... am I wrong... is it loud enough for snow geese????
These callers are way louder than you would ever imagine, and quite honestly louder than you should be calling. Part of the trick is to get the volume control on the amp circuit board set (and glued) at the right setting. On these amps when the volume control is turned up past a certain point the volume does not increase, but the AMP HISS does considerablly.

The night before Christmas Eve I built one of these callers for my buddies son. My buddies son went Calling on News Eve Afternoon with a buddy of his that was using a Fox Pro with remote. Dave told me the home made E-Caller was louder, clearer and had been quality sounds on it than did the Fox Pro. Now I would have to see (or rather hear this) for myself to believe it as the Fox Pro is supposed to be the Cadallic of callers.

For the record you can make this home made E-Caller much louder than you can blow mouth calls for what its worth.

Larry

#13 ·
I'd been picking up the MP3 Players off of E-Bay, but lately I keep getting out bid. Must be too many people building E-Callers or something, hahahaha.

As per the AMP, yes it is needed. Just plugging the Speaker into the MP3 Player does not get the sound half as loud as a mouth call.

Larry

#17 ·
Here is the list of sounds I have on my current Rio 600 MP3 Player.

Coyote Greeting Howl (1) = Western Rivers
Coyote Group Howl = Western Rivers
LONE HOWL LOCATOR = Johnny Stewart
Coyote Challenge Dominant Male = Western Rivers
COYOTE PUP DISTRESS = Johnny Stewart
CANINE PUPPIES = Johnny Stewart
COYOTE GRAY FOX FIGHT = Johnny Stewart
Canine Distress = Western Rivers
Crow Distress = Western Rivers
Crow Frenzy = Western Rivers
Snow Geese = Western Rivers
SQUEALING WOODPECKER = Johnny Stewart
Baby Piglet = Western Rivers
Fawn Distress = Western Rivers
RODENT DISTRESS = Johnny Stewart
DISTRESSED HOUSECAT = Johnny Stewart
Cape Hare = Western Rivers
Jackrabbit Distress = Western Rivers
Cottontail Distress = Western Rivers

The Johnny Stewart Sounds are from Johnny Stewart Calling CD's. We downloaded the sounds onto Sound Editing Software on my buddies Computer, isolated ONE SOUND LOOP and then transferred them onto the MP3 Players. By isolating ONE SOUND LOOP we are getting the same sound by using the Repeat Track Feature on the MP3 Player without taking up so much drive space.

The Western Rivers sounds were downloaded from their web site and vary in length from a little over a minute to 3 minutes.

As per the Snow Geese Sound I downloaded, I don't remember if it is Snow Geese or Snow Geese #2. I'd have to go back and listen to them to be sure.

Larry

#19 ·
Really don't want to get into that.

I don't have the time to go all over to round up all the parts-n-pieces, since there is no Radio Shack in town here.

Actually these are quite easy to put together. A buddy put one together this afternoon (I watched and coached him) in about an hour.

Larry

#22 ·
I have actually experimented with several different speakers (one from Radio Shack was a 25 - 50 Watt MAX) and in my opinion the one I recommended produced the best sound. I am no electronic wizz by any stretch of the imagination, but from what I understand it has more to do with the frequency responce of the speaker than it does the wattage for the best sound consdiering the sounds we are playing for calling.

Yes other speakers work, but the sound quality might be different.

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.