North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner

Corona-virus

104K views 842 replies 16 participants last post by  Chuck Smith 
#1 ·
How big will this get? Looking bad. My wife and I had looked at booking that Diamond Princess Ship. We have previously been on 2 Princess ships.It started in Singapore and ended in Tokyo. Stopped in Hong Kong. Good thing we went to the Carribean instead. That is a nightmare.

70,000 cases now reported with 2,000 dead. How many products made in China and imported here will have problems if the Chinese close the factories.

#2 ·
I read one computer model that estimated a pandemic of 4.4 million infected. My wife and I have until March 20 to make up our mind about Norway in September. Thinking maybe not. Also this spring we thought about Yosemite, but last time we were there it was 80% Oriental. Maybe the airlines will not fly to China until safer.

#3 ·
It is scary about this virus. I did read that they found a "cure" for it right away. Just depends on how fast it can get manufactured.

The scary part is how "honest" is the info we are getting from China. Is it more or less than the estimates coming out.

Ken...

You did a good choice on where you are going. But Hong Kong, Japan, etc are on my list to visit in my life. I would recommend to buy the appropriate surgical masks to help prevent some of it when you are in Public or pack spaces.

Plainsman.... I would still go to both of those places... but it is me I live risky... LOL

#4 ·
Hmmm I see the mortality rate is 2%. The way it's being hyped I thought maybe 80%. So with a mortality rate no more than the common flue why is it being hyped? I see it's knocking the stock market down. Hmmmm so let me get this straight, the best thing Trump has going for him is the stock market. A flue with only a 2% mortality rate that is being hyped by the "media" is driving the stock market down. Hmmm nothing to see here, move along. :bs:

#5 ·
I was going to address some of this but got busy...

A few things...

1. The stock market seems to change no matter what happens if someone coughs it jumps a few points. But the reason for the fall is that China closed factories, stopped some shipping of goods, and also stopped some productions lines. So the cheap Chinese products coming over could be stalled or even stop coming to the USA so that would make stocks go up or down.

2. The USA found a cure and are trying to find how to get it out to everyone and to manufacture it. He also has a plan in place for quarantine and what not.

3. Trump comes out and says that the USA has a firm grasp on this whole virus thing and has remedies ready to go (see above)…. yet right after he states that the media comes out with "TRUMP DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE" type stuff. So really if Trump stated that the color of the "chevy" symbol is BLUE... the media would come out and say the opposite.

So I hate to keep harping on how the media is killing this country.... But just look at #3.... It is the sad truth. Again I am all for freedom of the press and freedom of speech. But it is getting ridiculous how all they care about is negative coverage of the President.

#6 ·
I have seen those statistics.....They are misleading. The only accurate way to figure the mortality rate is to wait until everyone who contracted it has either died or has recovered. That's how the SARS rate was determined a few years ago. We just have to wait. BUT some won't do that and as an example we wind up with the stock market dropping 1000 points yesterday.

#7 ·
KEN W said:
I have seen those statistics.....They are misleading. The only accurate way to figure the mortality rate is to wait until everyone who contracted it has either died or has recovered. That's how the SARS rate was determined a few years ago. We just have to wait. BUT some won't do that and as an example we wind up with the stock market dropping 1000 points yesterday.
I would agree, but are they not making those estimates after people have recovered? I would consider it's entirely incompetent if they don't.

#8 ·
No......it is based on number of deaths divided by the number infected not cured which is a MUCH smaller number. So is someone incompetent since the rate is MUCH lower than they are really insinuating?

2,700 dead divided by 80,000 infected equals 3%

#11 ·
You all should be good to go on your cruises according to Trump. The disease has been blown out of proportion by CNN and the do nothing democrats. It will go away as soon as it warms up. Trump can not spell "Carona" but hey know one knows more about the disease than Donald.

#13 ·
When you live upstairs and the hogs and chickens live downstairs it isn't real healthy. There is always some kind of crap coming out of China. Also I hear that level four laboratory in the town where this started lets people sell of the animals they have experimented on for human consumption.

#14 ·
I just read that the contagious rate of this virus is at a level 2. To compare measles is an 18. So that shows you how "contagious" this is. It is a risk and something to worry about. But it isn't as big of a "scare" as some are making it out to be.

But more and more facts are coming to light about it and it will be interesting if we will ever get the 100% truth on it. China is only telling little bits and pieces.... our media is going over board on it.... etc. I am glad that we right away went into overdrive on being cautious... but now our fears should slow down a little as we know more and more about it.

#18 ·
Japan closing all schools for a month. Health officials saying just to be on the safe side should have 2 weeks worth of medicine and food.

#19 ·
I think we're comparatively safe here in North Dakota, but it wouldn't hurt to have about 20lb of rice, some oateal, canned veggies etc.
I do wish they would stop the hype here because I think they are damaging the economy. However, I think that is actually their intent.

#21 ·
Speckline. I don't underestimate the disease, but I do think your correct about the democrats taking advantage of a crisis. It is there intent to damage the economy to disadvantage Trump in the election. It is proof they care more about their personal power than the United States. I think they care more about their power than the people of the United States and would not mourn a heavy mortality. They would see a. 100k deaths as a sacrifice for their ideal country where no one knows what gender they are, there is no absolute truth, and morals are a historic relic. I see no social value in Washington's democrats. They would have to stand on their tip toes to kiss a snakes ***. Disease and death may be the Democrat opportunity.

#22 ·
Not only the "dumbocrats" as you say, but did you see that Medical Doctor Sanjay Gupta try to tell President Trump that the numbers of people with the disease is likely to grow and the infection will likely spread.

The nerve of that man to contradict the President. Trump had to talk over him to shut him up. Sheesh.

#23 ·
If you took the time to take the TDS hat off, you would see that Trump has stated that the gov is on top of it at this time. He also stated that we'll be watching how it progresses and take appropriate measures.
The dumbocraps have been very critical on him (go figure) placing people who were exposed on quarantine as soon as they landed as he was advised to do.
Dumbocraps need to LISTEN to his words to understand what he says, NOT what the fake news' interpretation tells you he said.

Definitely want to be watch this virus and take appropriate measures as individuals, but preaching that the sky is going to fall in premature.

#24 ·
Okay there is TDS and then there is drinking the cool aid. You told me to listen to Trump's words. I was telling you that I watched Trump say that the virus was going to go away and that the flu was more deadly. I watched him tell a Medical Doctor that the doctor was wrong when he stated the actual numbers on flu vs Corona virus. I watched Trump raise his voice and talk over the Doctor in order to shut him up.Not news...actual video footage...actual words coming out of his mouth. That is his way of doing things and you all think that is just great. Have another big chug.

#25 ·
What is stupid is the Media and many Dem's...

They keep saying that the CDC funding was "cut".... the increase they asked for was cut down. So instead of getting a 10% increase in funding they got a 5%... or something like that. Back in January Trump set up a special corona-virus task force to look into this problem and also solutions. But yet you don't hear anyone talking about this. Again I get it info off of elected officials twitter pages... .and not Democrats. You wont hear this in the media at all. :puke:

So like others have stated about the TDS and what not. Or the don't ever waste a crisis for political gain. :eyeroll:

But yes this needs to be taken seriously and it sounds like the USA has taken the appropriate steps on this so far. It is smart to be cautious.

Edit:

What really this whole situation should prove and also help Trumps "USA FIRST" mentality is because most of our medication is produced in China. So now that China is on "lock down" because of this outbreak.... we should move our manufacturing back to the USA and not be so dependent on china.

#26 ·
To go off on the Left or dems.…

The ones in the house all week bashing trump. Today.... they didn't even bring anything up to fund or get extra funding for the Corona-virus. So our elected officials are not doing there job. If they wanted more funding... they could have introduced a bill and got it passed in the house. Yet crickets.... :poke:

You know what they did bring up for a vote and it passed..... Not allowing flavored tobacco....ie: no more flavored cigars and stuff like that. So that was more pressing than the "outbreak" and "fear" of the corona-virus that you see all over the media.... flavored tobacco ban was more important. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.