North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner

2017 Snow Goose Migration Reports

58K views 76 replies 31 participants last post by  blhunter3 
#1 ·
The geese are starting to work their way up the flyway. Let the migration reporting begin! 1.....2....3....GO!

#8 ·
looking for a recommendation here. I go on one trip to hunt snows in NW Missouri and have the option to go this upcoming weekend or hunt the first full week in march. we hunt a pasture pond style set up and run traffic on the migrators. would you all recommend going this weekend with the warm temps expected or wait until the first week in march? any suggestion?

#10 ·
This is wishing everyone good luck in 2017. I will be watching the posts to see how you do. For the first time in years I can not make a hunt as the old ticker has problems and open heart could be next. My brother out of Pierre says things could be heating up as some snows came in last night and he saw several large flocks east of him. It was toward dusk and a long way off so could not be sure if he saw darks or snow. But did say the bird were high. My brother keeps a log and he says this is really early for the migration to start in his area. Good luck and hope each of you stack the snows up. While you are at take a couple for me.

#14 ·
Pretty sad state of affairs here in the reports thread. Followed this a long time, used to be 50 pages long and 100k plus views...kinda sad to see. Always looked forward to reading them several times a day and loosely used it to plan my own trips. Good luck all.

Buddy was working in SD yesterday said wave upon wave heading north between Brookings and Sioux Falls. See what the storm does

#16 ·
maple lake duck slayer said:
Pretty sad state of affairs here in the reports thread. Followed this a long time, used to be 50 pages long and 100k plus views...kinda sad to see. Always looked forward to reading them several times a day and loosely used it to plan my own trips. Good luck all.

Buddy was working in SD yesterday said wave upon wave heading north between Brookings and Sioux Falls. See what the storm does
I agree. I haven't even hunted snows yet. But have watched this thread for years. I thought the very same thing this year when I took a look at it.

#18 ·
I'd give my left nut to be hunting tomorrow VS going cross eyed staring at a yellow bobber for another weekend... Mixed reports on the ND/SD border shared by friends/family, SD sounds like the place to be so going fishing but keeping the 12ga within reaching distance!!! Good shooting

#19 ·
Some news out of Pierre. No snows in the area from Pierre north. There were darks but a vast majority pulled out and went north. Reports from a couple of days ago said there were a lot of snows up 281. This comes from a game warren who works this area. He also said there were no hunters. Appears this is so early no one was ready and why reports are slow this year. Sounds like the north half of SD did not get the white stuff on the ground but temps are cooler. 281 in the Redfield area might give some of you a chance to have fun.

#21 ·
New up date Sunday morning. Word out of SD that snows were flying over Pierre at 8pm last night. Two people confirmed this who live 3-4 miles apart and it appears the snows were strung out over these miles. Also word that there are a lot of geese in the Brookings area up 81. No direct word on 281 but the geese have to be there. Good Luck. I can not hunt this year for health reasons but will do my best let you know what I hear so you can give it a go.

#25 ·
Just got off the phone with Sand Lake, SD.

Very few snows, but staff was down by Sioux Falls and said there were huge concentrations all around there and south.

Still a few weeks out, I guess.

Btw, just a friendly reminder for future hunting, if you see another truck pulled over or me loading up with my dog, please move along and dont doddle or stare at us, instead let us hunt the birds since we were there first.

Other than that, I'll keep the reports going as I hunt and check in with Sand and some local guys areound SE ND

Be safe and have fun, and thanks to all who ARE reporting and NOT selfishly hiding anything.

#26 ·
Come on Alberta Clippers!!!!!!! I know we can't build a wall high enough to hold back the migration, but Mother Nature can!!!!!! I can't make it back to ND till end of month so need some help to slow the migration. Come on Alberta Clippers...!! Pushem back, pushem back , waaaaayyy back!!!! LOL..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.