North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner

new favorite P-Dog gun!

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  teed 
#1 ·
lol just thought i would share, just got back from my first p-dog hunt of the year, i usualy shoot my my 223 and my 17 hmr for p-dogs but this winter i stumbled accross a savage modle 40 22 hornet that i just couldnt say no to the price, so i made up some reloads for it and figgured what the hell ill give her a try. all i can say is wow i realy realy realy like this gun for prairie dogs............ alot! lol if you can find one for a good price and can aford the amo or have the option of reloading for it this little sucker is the ticket! i mean you are gonna get the longer shots with the 223 for sure but there is just some thing about this round that just made it alot of fun!

just thought i would share

how has every one else been doing on these little creatures this year so far?

#2 ·
We just got back from a 2 and 1/2 day trip.
There were plenty of targets to shoot at including some really dumb ones. My son was able to take two with my .22 revolver at 25 and 35 yds.
We used .22 rimfire forthe closer ones, and .22-250, and .243 for the longer ones.
We were shooting reloads topped with Hornady V-Max bullets. Those really pack a punch.
Our biggest challenge were the cattle. We had to move several times to have a clear shooting area. Rain and wind complicated things, but that's not unusual this time of year.
I'm looking forward to building an AR platform for next year.

#3 ·
oh yeah i hear ya on the cattle problem, we had to deal with them too, i had the hornady v-maxes on the hornet and was shooting barnes varmit gernades on my 223, lol i know what ya mean on the ar platform, i have a half done one sitting in the drawr of my gun cabinent right now that is just begging to get finished to reak havok on the little buggers lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.