North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner

What gun to buy

28K views 41 replies 29 participants last post by  CZDogman 
#1 ·
I have done some dog hunting in Idaho a couple of times and all I gotta say is it one of the funnest and challening things I have ever shot..

I am thinking about getting a 204 this winter for the upcoming season, what do you seasoned dog hunters shoot and/or reccomend????

#27 ·
Ok guys are we going to get a "Nodak Outdoors" PD shoot going or what????

I WILL be there!! Anybody else!!!

Plainsman??? Huntin1???? Anybody else???

Lets just get together and have some fun. No pressure!! Nobody is going to "judge" anybody else. Lets just get together and shoot some dogs.

Is anybody in??? Let me know!!

Hey Chris, I think this would be a good idea to get some of us together. It has happened on other sites. Lets see if this one will work!! Just an idea. I will do the logistics if you want!! Take care...Lee

PS: Anybody interested mail me, mcdonaldtuffy@aol.com

#28 ·
I'd be all for it :sniper: :sniper: :sniper:

I will break out the ole 223 and count my shells.

And for close in the new CZ 17 HMR :sniper:

#29 ·
I'm in for sure!! Shoot some dogs maybe grill something up from whatever you killed in the fall, beverages, etc. etc.

I know of a couple people that would also be interested.

Jifffy, I Pm'd you but will also email you on your other account..

madison

#30 ·
I think I could make it. I would suggest late May or early June. The young ones are out and on solid food so if momma gets it they don't starve. Also, the small targets are more sporting, ------- and dumb.

#31 ·
I have been doing some research on the.204 and it sounds like quite a caliber. Rivals what the 22-250 can do with less powder, recoil and barrel wear. I have a cz 222 with the hogback stock that I really like a lot and just purchased a savage 17 hmr. Not sure I could justify another varmit class rifle........................... but then again................ we are MEN right? Why do we need to justify anything :lol: :wink: what was I thinking?

whoever has the most guns wins!!!

#37 ·
Have you guys figured out the details/dates of the pd hunt yet? I may be interested, depending on the dates. I will be in SoDak Snow goose hunting from about the 17th Mar-26 Mar. I think it would be fun. I have a buddy who always talks about it and I know he'd love to go. I don't have any of those smaller caliber rifles, but I wouldn't mind trying out my .300WSM at some long ranges. I would also bring along my T/C Omega .50cal. It'll be fun to see some of these guys blow up! Please let me know.

#38 ·
I shoot the 220-Swift and .17 for PD's.............My Uncle "Noel" was a pro-PD hunter and could drop them at 600 yards(yes he has been documented,at doing it) In the last 12 years he was always invited out to Montana and South Dakota to shoot with the Winchester and Remington people,they would pay for his hotel,food and trip's..........
He started reloading shell's in 1935 and been at it ever since..........
His fav. was a Bull Barreled 220-Swift........
He passed away last year at the age of 92..........A hunter to the end........... :beer:

#40 ·
i had the savage 204. excellent gun with that accutrigger. i owned this gun when i lived in IL . I found found out in a hurry this gun is not a good wind gun ( anything over 10 mph ) when i moved to ND. Wind was pushing the 32 gr bullet up to 2 feet on me on a real ND windy day. i went with the AR15 and have not looked back. prices have come down a lot in the last 60 days on these guns. 20 inch barrel is a good length for every thing. marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.