North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner

Remington 700 ADL accuracy (in stock form)

25K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Habitat Hugger 
#1 ·
I was at scheels the other day, and they had a deal on Rem 700 ADL's in any caliber for 400$. They also came with cheap scopes on them. I thought, why the heck not. So i bought one in .243,22in barrel, and brought it home. The scope and rings that were on it looked pretty cheap, so i replaced them with some nicer rings, and another scope that i had that i knew held zero. After getting everything on and tightened to spec, i took it out and shot it. Any skipping all the crap.

I am shooting Hornady Custom 100gr BTSP. I was getting about 2inch groups at 100. Is this all the rifle is capable of in its current configuration? I have alot of trigger time on my other 700 (SPS Tac. in .308) and can make shapes on the paper its so good. I have noticed that the trigger on this is quite tough, and the stock is pretty garbage, riding the barrel the whole way down. I would like to be able to at least shoot 1MOA with it. Does the trigger being rough, and the stock riding the barrel make that huge of a difference? I gave the rifle ample time to cool between shots, with it being the sporter barrel and all. Is there a different weight of bullet that works better for this rifle and barrel length? Not that i think 2inch is BAD but, was just expecting closer to my SPS at 100yds.

#2 ·
A 700 ADL should give you at least 1MOA or close to it especially in .243 cal.
I have an old .243 ADL that shoots 85-100 gr bullets equally well but Speer 105 gr not so good.
Hand loading is the easiest way to find a load your rifle likes, otherwise you may have to try several different brands of factory.
The 700 used to have a really nice fully adjustable trigger but as the guy in the link suggests,,, that may no longer be the case.
http://www.quarterbore.com/library/arti ... igger.html

#4 ·
Remington has liability concerns. The reason they coat the screw heads with epoxy is to discourage home adjustment.
Believe me, if you can follow written instructions you can do it as I did with the ADL and a 700 BDL Varmint Special I once had.
But if you're close to gunsmith,,, by all means have him do it.
BTW,,,never heard of an X-mark PRO.

#8 ·
The x-mark and x-mark pro triggers do not hold a candle to the original 3-screw design trigger.

Im a Rem fan, but these new triggers are inferior in quality to compared to old.

They CAN be tweaked and improved upon, but they cannot be made as crisp and clean as the old 3-screw, not without some judiscious stone work on the guts. Ive worked on a few, and have yet to be able to get one safely into the 2-lb range just using the adjustment screws. And there is always a bit of creep. Never had any issues like this with the old design.

Id have someone familiar with them touch it up, and if its still not to your liking pick up a L-1 aftermarket from Rifle Basix.

#11 ·
Get a decent trigger, skim bed the action in the stock and free float the barrel. If you aren't comfortable with doing any of this yourself, find a competent gunsmith and have it done. Remington 700's are good shooters, it's just tough to find one that will do it right from the box, without a bit of tweaking.

huntin1

#12 ·
Timney ordered, at your advice ^. With the stock, is it better to do a bedding job on it, or to just go with one of the off the shelf replacements. B&C seems to be a nice stock with the full aluminum bedding.. I looked at the hogue, but it seemed a little flimsy to me in the fore-end? The rifle will spend some time on a bipod..

#13 ·
Well personally, I'd go with a new stock, the B&C with the alum bedding block is a nice stock, but I'd still skim bed it. That's just me though. Drop it into that stock and I'm sure it would be a better setup than the factory stock.

huntin1

#14 ·
I have 2 ADL's & 2 BDL's. All 4 shoot extremely well, my 30/06 (ADL) is a tack driver!!!! 1/4" groups are the norm. And I've had many, many 1 hole groups. The first time my wife shot it at the range she had 1 hole after 3 shots, then she noticed everyone had stopped shooting and was watching her target. It made her nervous & she flinched, missed by 1/4", her 5th shot was back in the same hole. I bought that rifle in the mid '70's and the only modification I had done was have the gunsmith lighten the trigger to 2 1/2" lbs. As I was working up the first load for it, with each 1/2 grain increase in powder the group shrunk, until I worked up to a maximum load. To my surprise, the maximum load is the most accurate. I've never shot factory ammo from it so I have no idea how accurate it is with the factory fodder. I did have a custom gun with a Timney trigger, you'll like it.

#16 ·
It'd be accurate to say they have a great trigger. :wink:

Speaking of an ADL in 30-06, bought one new when a box of Rem ammo was only $9.99.
Scant records from that time suggest I couldn't do better than 1.5 MOA at a 100. Load development consisted of
only three powders and the 150gr SP Hornady.
In retrospect, using the factory set trigger and shooting over the hood of a pickup,,,that wasn't to bad.

#19 ·
huntin1 said:
Get a decent trigger, skim bed the action in the stock and free float the barrel. If you aren't comfortable with doing any of this yourself, find a competent gunsmith and have it done. Remington 700's are good shooters, it's just tough to find one that will do it right from the box, without a bit of tweaking.
huntin1
THIS is exactly what I'd suggest... when you get it back, it should shoot LIGHTS OUT. You might have to try a couple od different ammo types to see what it likes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.