Switch to full site

Crappie go to lure after ice out?

Crappie and panfish fishermen can trade tips here....crappie fishing tips, panfish fishing tips, tactics and various reports.

Moderator: nodakoutdoors.com

Crappie go to lure after ice out?

by Rick Acker » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:02 am

The Crappie is one fish I haven't figured out yet? Seems like I'm always week late after the big bite. Just curious what everybody's favorite "go to set up" for ice out shallow fish? I've used bobber & a small tube jig tipped w/minnow & w/out...Beatle spins, grubs, etc

I've never really found a solid combination that works...Any thoughts? THANKS
Rick Acker
Site Sponsor / Moderator

Advertisement

NodakOutdoors.com

Re: Crappie go to lure after ice out?

by Plainsman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:32 am

I have never targeted crappies. However, there was an old fellow who was a photographer for the Jamestown Sun that was always after crappies. He would check the bay by our house. He was looking for 62 degrees and the spawn I guess. Also, early in the spring he would use the same method. He used a clear bobber with a four to six foot leader of four pound test with a fly on the end like you would use for trout. I watched him take about 20 crappies one evening while I caught two walleye. That was 20 years ago and I have always been going to try it, but never have.
Plainsman
Supporting Member

by drjongy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:22 am

I always just use a small colored jig with a crappie tube for bait...no minnows or anything else. Fish under a small slip-bobber.
drjongy
Supporting Member

by bobert08 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:13 pm

Chippawa charlie!!! Smallest size!! I love black, worked everywhere so far!! TRY THEM
bobert08