North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner

A slow flushing toilet/commode Tip

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  nowayer 
#1 ·
Own a home over 50 years old with two bathrooms. Had replaced one commode years ago and it works OK. The oldest commode one had a problem flushing. Water would rise in the bowel to near the top and slowly drain. I'm in the country and have a septic tank, so thought I had a clogged line to the slow flushing commode. Had a plummer come out and roto-root the line, which seemed to solve the problem. Plummer had run a camera down the line too and told me it looked like I had a separation in the line, that I'd have the same problem in the future. Pluming company I used had a free, 2nd roto rooting if needed.

Well, wife and I seldom used the bathroom with the problem commode and its line. So, about 7 months later, some of our kids are going stay with us with their kids and I checked the commode......slow flush was back. Called the Pluming company and a different plummer came. I told him about the possibly separated line and demonstrated how slow the commode flushed. He will ask me if I had any dish washing soap/detergent, that he wanted to try something. I brought him a bottle of Dawn dish washing liquid soap. He will swish a circle of it in the commode, wait a second or two and then flush it. There was an instant flush. I asked him, mind explaining to me just what happened. "I'm not sure myself," he answered. But then, he explained he visited with his grandfather a few days before, who was a long retired master plummer. During visit, Granddad had told him of an old trick he used to use to determine if a commode was too old, that needed to be replaced due to build up inside it....use dish washing soap.

I posted this story on another fix-it an repair type forum on another website shortly after it happened. Two or so gents with old commodes tried in in their slow flushing commodes.....it worked for them too.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.