North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner

Taurus Judge

246K views 137 replies 73 participants last post by  bandit769 
#1 ·
I know zip about handguns but wanted to ask the opinion of those of you who are knowledgeable on the subject. What do you think of the new Taurus Judge. It shoots .45 Colt, .45 ACP and .410 shotgun shells. It appears to be a nasty weapon and it might be somewhat fun to own as well. What is the quality of this weapon? The Taurus website says the barrel is not rifled. Is that unusual and does it render the .45 caliber part of the weapon useless? Are Taurus handguns of high quality? As you can tell I'm just starting my research and don't know if it will lead to anything or not. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I know first hand that Taurs is great about takeing care of its customers. They have a lifetime warranty on all of thier weapons and they are well built to begin with. The pistol you're refering to is one I really wish I could have but the BULL SHIFT gun laws in my state wont allow it. The fact that there isn't any rifleing in the bore of the barrel will definately shorten the range of the pistol when shooting 45 colt ammo but short barreled revolvers are short range weapons anyway.

You could load it with 410 shells carrying light bird shot for snakes and small game. Loaded with large buckshot it would make a VERY imposeing defense weapon. Or you could use 45 colt ammo for defence againced larger animals or as a cheap practice load. Another option would be to use 410 rifled slug loads wich might help any accuracy problems that may present themselves when shooting a single projectile down a smooth bore.

I cant really think of a more versitile hand gun.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum Curt. If you are looking for a target revolver...... The Judge isn't it. If you are looking for a self defense weapon that will do journeyman duty as a car gun, handling any and all two legged as well as pests and varmints at handshaking distances....you have found it. All the cartridges that The Judge will chamber are certified manstoppers at close range. Taurus warranty and strength of design are second to none. I don't think you could do much better. Good shooting, Burl

#5 ·
I have seen this gun on personal defense t.v show and it looks awesome. I thought however that it did have a rifled barrel as a selling point for using the 410 shells at close range. The wad follows the lan grooves helping it disperse so quickly in a large pattern. They show what it will do out a passenger window when shot fom the drivers seat. WOW! talk about not being able to miss!!.

#7 ·
I bought an M-410 "Judge" about two months ago. Mine is blue (and the bluing is very brilliant and rich) Prior to this purchase, my usual carry was either my Kimber Ultra CDP II or Glock 22. THIS IS AN AWESOME WEAPON. The barrel is rifled, thus accomplishing good accuracy for the .45 LC rounds (good target placement at 25 yards) the special "ribbed" grips virtually eliminate recoil from the big rounds. I find #7 shells inadequate over about 7 yards. #6 will do much better. 000 buck will give you great results at 15 yards. Concealment holsters just aren't out there. Fortunately, we have a leathersmith nearby who can make anything you want while you wait, so I had a left hand concealment rig made on a Saturday afternoon, and the gun hides nicely. In South Kansas, one might encounter anything from a rattlesnake to a wacked-out "meth head" Therefore, my carry ammo consists of 2 rounds of #7 shot, 2 rounds of 000 and 1 round of .45LC. This should tame about anything you run across. I highly recommend this gun.

#8 ·
They are probably a decent short range utility gun but don't ask too much of them. Can assure you they are rifled otherwise they would be classified as a short barreled shotgun the BATF would be all over Taurus.
Technically the only way these could be produced is if they will also chamber a rifle or pistol cartridge.

The verdict is still out on Taurus quality and service. Seems to be hit and miss. Both revolvers I've owned had some issues that I took care of myself rather than wait 6-9 months for Taurus to fix. From what I have heard in most cases "lifetime" warrantee means that is how long it will take to get it fixed. That said I have not yet heard of any issue with that particular gun.

#11 ·
Wow. I can't believe what I am reading. First, it is a Taurus which are known to 2nd rate guns. I bought a "judge" thinking it might be a fun gun to take out while hiking around. The 45 LC ammo works great in the gun but as for the .410 shells, be sure to use the smooth plastic casing. The rougher casings with grooves don't come out of the cylinder. The gun only uses 2 1/2" .410 shells which really limits the usable ammo selection. When using .410 shells, one really has to make sure the shells are pushed ALL the way down in the cylinder or it won't close. Numerous times the cylinder has not locked up.

This is not a defense gun unless attacked by paper targets or using 45 LC and then there are much better 45 LC pistols. This gun is a play toy and deserving of being called a serious gun.

#14 ·
So you're saying it is a more formadable self defense weapon if you threw it at the bad guy? :lol:

What do you use yours for, wyocarp? I would think it would be nice to have in snake country.

#15 ·
I definately feel it would be better to through it at the bad guy. One might want to pull the hammer back first that way it might at least scare the guy a little more when it hits him.

I bought it because of all the talk about it and thought it might be a fun gun for while out hiking around.

#17 ·
Well, are you talking about shooting the snakes with 45 LC ammo or the .410? I'm pretty sure that one could hit the broad side of a barn with .410 ammo but something smaller than that, I wouldn't expect it to kill anything. I need to try some different .410 ammo. I do know that it needs to be smooth plastic casing or the gun requires a hammer to eject the spent casings. The ribbed casings don't come out very easily.

#18 ·
Dang, sounds like this poor pistol has a LOT going against it. Yeah, I was envisioning a killer sidearm if you were out in rattlesnake country with .410 loaded up; kind of like the old "Snakecharmer" shotguns, only smaller.

#19 ·
I'm not real excited about the Taurus Judge for home defense after reading a number of responses.

I am looking for a home defense gun for my wife. She is comfortable with guns, as is a decent shot. However, the reality is, if the time should come when an intruder enters our home, I want my wife to have to point and click. That was my interest in the .410 shotshells. Of course she will aim, but I want a gun that will produce even if her shot is a little off.

Would folks give me information on other guns that would serve better for in-house self defense.

Thanks

#20 ·
Well, do you guys live in a house, apartment, or a trailer? I keep a shoutgun loaded with #4 buckshot. Enough at 10 feet to put a dirtbag down, yet not enough to penetrate walls too much.

#21 ·
We live in a house with young children, so although the shotgun option would be a stopper, with young kids a large loaded gun is more difficult to keep out of their reach. I was wondering about any other wheelguns with shotshell capacity. Perhaps I'm looking for something that isn't feasible?

What repercussions, not legal, more operational, does one face if he were to saw a shotgun down? How much could/should one take off, or would I be better off looking at buying a manufactured short?

#24 ·
hagfan72 said:
Well, do you guys live in a house, apartment, or a trailer? I keep a shoutgun loaded with #4 buckshot. Enough at 10 feet to put a dirtbag down, yet not enough to penetrate walls too much.
Not enough to penetrate walls too much? I know a guy who had a 12ga #6 shot discharge in his basement and it went through the ceiling in the basement, upstairs floor, into a wall and the ceiling upstairs. #4 will definitely go through a few rooms if it only comes in contact with sheet rock.

#25 ·
Hhh, I said penetrate walls TOO MUCH, as in still lethal. Of course, birdshot will penetrate for a while, but will it have enough force to inflict mortal wounds? No, lot like 00Buck or a centerfire slug.

#26 ·
I don't mean to butt in here, but you guys...Kaiser especially, have stumbled onto a point that I feel is very important.....actually several points.

First, Kaiser's dilemna illustrates EXACTLY why I've never recommended a handgun as a home defense weapon. He's talking about a wife who, I'm guessing here, probably doesn't shoot much, would be panicked as we all would if she actually felt the need to get the gun out, and would have very little chance at doing anything more than scaring the intruder away if she shot....except of course, as Hagfan touched on, of the very real possibility of shooting the neighbor asleep in his bed with an errant bullet!

I very strongly feel a shotgun loaded with duck and pheasant loads is the way to go. And as far as how to keep it safely at the ready? Well let me tell you how I safely got through three kids. I believe no one who is too young to know what they're doing is also smart enough or strong enough to close the action of a pump shotgun, and then unlock it to pump it again. So I had a 870 with no plug near my bed for years with 4 shells in the magazine and the action open. And trust me.....I could load that thing PRONTO! I did it once and I even surprised myself!

Now I obviously had to change tactics when the kids were old enough to bring friends over unsupervised, but it worked for a lot of years, and now that they're gone what do you suppose I see when I look to my right, just beside the headboard of my bed now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.