North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner

My First Bow Buck

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Sasha and Abby 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Haven't been on Nodak for quite a while, but thought I'd post a pic of my first bow buck I have ever got (started bow hunting last year).

Everything about this hunt went well: perfect shot at 12 yards...beautiful morning...deer came in to my tree stand after some grunting near a mock scrape I put up...got a picture of it on camera a few days before...got to follow a bloodtrail...no ruined meat.

Now I am taking it to the taxidermist for my first ever deer shoulder mount. I'm hooked!

buck.JPG

heart.jpg

PICT0034.JPG

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I started bow hunting at 12 in 1960. Killed a deer nearly every year and I still have not shot a deer as nice as yours fallguy. To much bow hunting sort of spoils gun hunting. I solved that by using a different cartridge every year. A dozen cartridges later I got hooked on long range. Now with a bow I sometimes shoot compound, sometimes recurve, sometimes longbow. I would kind of like a flintlock now.
Thanks for the story and picks fallguy.

#6 ·
Forgot to mention the most important parts...

This deer was shot on river land near my mom and dad's place. My dad died two years ago after a short battle with cancer.

Also a neat fact is the fact that 5 days before I shot the deer, my mom and daughter had seen this buck along with 2 other smaller bucks in her yard doing a little head-butting with each other. They watched them right out of the living room window.

I brought the deer head to the taxidermist on Wednesday night and told him the story and the info about my dad. He smiled and said "Ahh...so you had some help". This makes the deer that much more special, so really happy I am getting it mounted. This will be the first deer I ever had mounted.

I am guessing the distance from my dad's shop to the tree stand is about 80 yards. I will range it tomorrow as I am putting my son in the same tree stand to try to get his bow tag filled. We both shot small does last year. He is 12 and wants to try to shoot something with some antlers. Size doesn't matter. He just likes to hunt. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.