North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner

Cormorants

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Habitat Hugger 
#1 ·
On the way back from Fargo Thursday, we noted hundreds and hundreds of cormorants on that lake about a mile or two west of Hobart Lake. We've seen cormorants flocked up before, but conservatively there was maybe 500 or more, some flying and a huge bunch on the water south of I 94.
Was therea huge amount of baitfish in the area, or are they somehow flocking up in preparation for fall migration? Seem a way to early for them to be moving on, though it would be nice to have them head south and gobble up someone else's fich! :)
I wonder if this is just the usual number of Cormorants in the area or a bit unusual?

#3 ·
Wow! We just had never seen so many of the darned things concentrated in one place! Even fishing Devils Lake near their rookery! I see those dead trees near the Cleveland exit are gone. Either due to ice or ' chain saw ice!' I suppose they just move somewhere else to nest.
G & f got a permit to kill some, but not very many. Wish we could teach them to just say No or use a Cormorant Condom or something........ :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.